Wednesday 26 January 2011

Evaluation



Above is an image of my final product featuring my front cover, contents page and double page spread.

After I had researched various music magazines that are published by different companies and are of different music genres I was determined to create mine at the same quality in order to be a fellow competitor. In order to achieve this I needed to follow some of the codes and conventions of a music magazine and I believe my final product both follows and challenges the codes and conventions of a music magazine.
Question 1
In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge codes and conventions of real media products?



Question 2
How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My magazine represents mostly teenagers and young adults as the target audience is aimed at the age range between15-25. This is purely because of the genre of music and the behaviour of the bands mentioned. Of course the magazine may still get the odd buyer who is not in the target audience range, but the majority of purchases will be from young people inside this age range.
The interest of my magazine buyers is solely music, but not just any music. They will thrive on the genre of indie, rock and metal as well as all the sub-genres that fall under these categories. They are the kind of people who love reading up on their favourite artists, they love hearing about new music releases and upcoming gigs and they enjoy sharing their experiences and views on bands and albums.


These social groups are represented through the design of my magazine as it is in some parts adventures. The models I used also represent the social groups nicely with their style of clothing and over all look as they fit into the genre of indie, rock and metal. The language of the social groups has also been represented in my magazine with words such as “epic” and “legendary” as well as the way the interviewees responses have been writing as well as the fan boxes letters.
Question 3
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
My magazine is similar to other music magazines such as Kerrang! and NME, as they to share the similar genre of indie, rock and metal and include popular artists, music and albums.
Kerrang! is published by Bauer Media Group, which is Europe’s largest privately owned publishing group. They offer over 230 magazines in 15 countries, as well as online, TV and radio stations. Other music magazines published by Bauer include Q and Mojo.
NME however is published by IPC Media (International Publishing Company), which is one of the UK’s leading consumer magazine and digital publisher. They distribute a wide range of magazines which also include Uncut.


Taking all this into consideration I feel that Bauer Media would be the best choice for distributing my music magazine as they sell their magazines across the whole of Europe which will increase the number of potential buyers. They are also a well known media institution so it should cost less to advertise as once people realise my magazines distributed by Bauer they should begin to recognise it easily. My magazine is similar to Kerrang! and Q due to its genre, however Bauer does not have a magazine of the genre indie, rock and metal and my magazine is different due to its style and context, therefore Bauer Media should have no problems taking on my magazine as it will expand there customers and earn them more as well as help them compete with IPC and other media institutions.

Question 4
What would be the audience for you media product?
The target audience for my magazine ranges from people aged 15-25. I chose this age group as I feel they will be the main people interested in my magazine because of the genre of my magazine and the bands mentioned. I have also chosen to make my magazine appeal to both men and women. I wanted it to be aimed at both sexes to ensure my magazine would be as successful as possible. This is why I used purple writing in my house style as it is not just aimed at one sex, like pink or blue, but both sexes. I also put a lot of band names on the front cover that both men and women both like in order to attract them to my magazine.
My target audience include people that are lower/middle class, and using the “ABC1 scale” they can be classes as those who are in the following groups (starting from the group who receives the lowest income); Group E - casual or lowest grade workers, Group D – semi and unskilled manual workers e.g. general labourers/ barmen/porters, Group C2- skilled manual workers and Group C1- supervisory or clerical and junior managerial, administrative or professional. However this does not mean that only people in these groups can buy my magazine, I have just chosen to focus more on those who are in these groups as I feel that in the “ABC1 scale” these are the people who will be most interested and intrigued by my magazine.
People who will buy my magazine can be classed as; innovators, rebels, groupies and drifters with the “values and life-styles” (also known as “vals”) of actualizers, experiencers and/or a struggler. The reason I have mentioned these groups of people is because I have created my magazine with the vague image of them in mind. I have created my magazine so that it fits in with these people’s lives and made sure that people who have not got much money can afford it even if they can’t buy it every time it’s released. My magazine inspires innovators as my magazine too features people who have wanted and succeeded in making their mark on the world through music and lyrics, rebels can realise that there are others who too listen to the genre of rock, indie and possibly metal, groupies will want to buy my magazine in order to fit in with the large crowd of people who buy and read the magazine and drifters will be able to reflect on the magazine and read about the artists lives and struggles giving them hope that they too can achieve instead of continuing to drift through life.

Question 5
How does your media product attract and encourage people to buy it?


Question 6
Specify your original images and comment and what you were aiming for and how you have achieved this. Also mention if they have been edited and why.
All the images used in my magazine are my own images and have been taken by myself at one point or another.

Image 1:

I have used the image above on my front cover. As you can see it is a close-up which is what I was aiming for as all front cover pictures range from mid-shots to close-ups. I told my model to look natural and smile which has been caught in this image as she is genuinely smiling instead of forcing a smile.
The outfit I have chosen for my model fits in nicely with the genre of indie, rock and metal as well as tying in with my chosen colour scheme of black, white, grey and purple. All these colours are present in the photo apart from purple which is a good thing as this meant that all the purple text on my front cover would stand out.
I decided to take the image in the dark outside so that my model would contrast with the black background. I also used an umbrella in the photo, at first this was accidental as it was raining and I didn’t want my models hair to go wavy, however when it came to editing the photo I realised that the umbrella went quite nicely in the background as it added more contrast between black and white which draws your eye towards it more, so I chose to keep the umbrella in the image instead of taking it out.

I chose to edit this photo using Macromedia Fireworks. I decided to increase the contrast of the photo which then increased the contrast between the black and white in the photo. I then used the stamp tool in order to remove any imperfections on my models face which included smoothing out my models nose by removing the bump at the top.
 I feel that this image looked good to begin with but after editing it I feel it draws people’s eyes to it even more which was what I was aiming for in this photo.
Image 2:

My next image can be seen on my contents page. It is a mid-shot so I told my model to have her hands by her sides. I told her to smile and look down which she did which resulted in the image you see above.
My model is wearing the same outfit as the last photo but in this photo you can see part of her jeans which are grey with slits in them covered by black lace, this both ties in with the genre and colour scheme of my magazine which is why I dressed my model in them. I also dressed my model in a scarf/hood (also known as a snood) as these are becoming really popular and I feel that buy having my model wear one helps the reader see how she is just like any one of us, following the latest trends.
This image was taken against a red background as I feel it made it stand out. It was also different from my chosen colour scheme where as what my model is wearing isn’t which contrasts, making the image eye catching.

I also edited this photo, but not by using Fireworks. Instead I found a website called sketchapp.net that edits your images for you giving them a sketchy look. I took advantage of this site and created the edited image you see above. I wanted this image to be bright and colourful as I wanted to use it as my main image for my contents page. This is why I chose to make the image multi coloured as there is no doubt that it catches the readers eye and encourages them to read on.

Image 3:
This next image is a photograph of myself. I used this image on my contents page to accompany my editors section.

I edited the image by again using sketchapp.net. I did so as I felt it made the image look more interesting and eye catching.

Image 4:

This image is an image I have from a concert I went to a year or two ago. It is of The Fray performing and I chose to include it into my contents page in order to add more variety to the images in my magazine. It also ties in nicely with the genre of my magazine.

Image 5:
The image above is of a friend of mine. It was taken a while back but I felt it was a good idea to use it in my magazine. This is due to the whole look of the image. Although she is using the prop of the guitar from guitar hero, she still looks like she is rocking out to music. Due to this I felt I should use it in my magazine, which I have. It again fits in the genre of my magazine along with what she’s wearing.

Image 6:
This next image was also taken at The Fray’s concert, but it is of their opening band. Unfortunately I don’t know the name of the band but I also felt it was a good idea to add this image to my contents page to make my magazine look like its not all about one band. It also again fits in with the genre.

Image 7 & 8:


The next two images have been used on my double page as images from fans in the fan box. I chose these two images of friends as they fit in with the sort of people that would buy my magazine.










Images 9 & 10:
These next two images are the main image used on my double page spread and one that is used at the top of my double page. As you can see they are both mid shots. This is because I wanted to show the reader the outfit on my model as well as the prop used in the images.
In both images my model is again wearing the same outfit as in the other images because it fits in with my genre. I have also added a prop in these images which is the guitar. While using the prop I asked my model to play some songs on it while I take photos and these are its outcome. I felt the guitar would look great on my double page spread as it’s as if she’s playing it for the reader. I also positioned my model in front of a red wall as I wanted to use a solid coloured background so I could edit it easier.

When it came to editing the images I again used Macromedia Fireworks as I find it easy to use and control. I chose to edit both images the same as they are very similar. I wanted to make the images look as if my model was playing at a concert so I added different transparent colours on top of each corner of the images to create the effect of stage lights. I added the colour red to the top left corner, blue to the top right, green to the bottom left and purple to the bottom right. I feel that by editing the images this way I have improved them for use in my double page.


Image 11:

The next image is one of my model sat with her legs crossed playing the guitar. She is also smiling which is what I asked her to do.
She again is wearing a grey top and jeans with lace as it again goes with the genre of my magazine as well as fitting in with my colour scheme. She also has the prop of a guitar as I wanted the image to come across as if she was just casually playing songs in her spare time. I again positioned my model in front of a red wall so it would be easier to edit.
I choose to use sketchapp.net again to edit this image to make it look sketched. I wanted it to look sketched so it would stand out on my double page due to where it was placed.
Image 12:

The last image was again used on my double page. It is a long shot of my model outside in the dark.
I chose to take the image in the dark outside as it would then match my front cover image. I also had my model use the umbrella again to also link it to my front cover image, therefore connecting the two images. As you can see she her outfit as said many times, matches both my colour scheme and fits in with the genre of the magazine.
I chose not to edit this image as I felt it would be nice to have one untouched image on my double page.
Question 7
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
Before constructing my magazine, I hadn’t had a lot of experience with Macromedia Fireworks, but now I have many new skills I have developed whist creating my magazine.
During the process of creating my magazine I have learnt how to effectively edit images by either changing their contrast, addling layered transparent colours over the top of the image and/or by using the stamp tool to remove imperfections in the images. All of these newly found skills came in very handy when making sure my images looked their best for my magazine.










I have also learnt how to download and use more interesting and eye catching fonts from dafont.com (as shown below) as well as learning how to use sketchapp.net to edit some of my images.

Lastly I have perfected the use of layers in Macromedia Fireworks in order to ensure everything is in the right position and to be able to add text in front of images.



Question 8
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Preliminary Task:

Full Product:

I feel I have learnt a lot in the progression from my preliminary task to my final product as I have used two totally different programs to create them. When creating my prelim I used Microsoft Publisher as I hadn’t had much experience with Macromedia Fireworks and felt more confident using Publisher. But in my final product I decided to push myself by using Macromedia as I feel it makes my magazine look more professional and has a lot more tools to use. While using Macromedia I learnt how to edit images, layer text and images and download and use different fonts which I didn’t know how to use when creating my prelim.
After using Macromedia for my final product I feel more confident when using it and would gladly use it again if needed as its easy to use yet makes my magazine look professional.
I have also learnt how to make a magazine look more professional by using the codes and conventions of a magazine that I found out while researching. Not only this but I have also learnt how to design a magazine to attract the readers eye and intrigue them into reading my magazine.

Question 9
What improvements might have been made?

Overall I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my music magazine; however I do feel I could have improved my magazine even more if given enough time.
Looking at my front cover I feel I should have improved it by adding blocks of colour behind the text on the left to make them stand out more as well as possible adding in additional text and layering around the image so it would look more professional.
As for my contents page I feel I should have added a regular or on the cover section as I have seen this in so many magazines but didn’t think to add it to my magazine until now.
Lastly I feel I should have improved my double page by possibly re-arranging the content on the left page so that I could have added more text from the interview on that page.




No comments:

Post a Comment